Thanks to everyone who has been voting for Defenders of Wildlife each week to help us try to win $200,000 in funding from Members Project from American Express. You can vote once a week through February 20, 2011 and this week you’re voting for prairie dogs!
Black-tailed prairie dogs once numbered in the hundreds of millions. Tragically, their numbers have decreased by more than 95%.
Help us secure the funds we need to save prairie dogs. Please vote today!
Did You Know…? Unlike the other species of prairie dogs found world-wide, the black tailed prairie dog does not hibernate in the winter and can often be seen above ground level during mid-winter.
Two hundred thousand dollars can do a lot of good for prairie dogs and other wildlife.
It can help us stop the use of deadly poisons like Rozol and Kaput-D, which can lead to painful and inhumane deaths of prairie dogs and other wildlife. It can help relocate prairie dogs to protected habitat and restore their important place in prairie ecosystems. And it can help us protect other imperiled wildlife, such as the endangered black-footed ferrets, that depend on prairie dogs to survive.
How to Vote for Defenders
The current round of voting runs through midnight on Sunday, February 20, 2011. You can vote once a week throughout the voting period. Here’s how to get started:
- Go to the Defenders Members Project page at www.defenders.org/membersproject.
- Scroll down to the Vote section in the lower left corner of the page. The Members Project is a partnership between American Express and TakePart, so you need to be a member of TakePart to vote. First, click the Sign Up And Vote button. NOTE: If you’re already registered and logged in with TakePart, the button will say Vote For This Charity and clicking it will take you to the final step below.
- Click the Register to Vote button.
- A form will pop up. Fill out all the required fields and make sure you check the boxes to accept the terms for both TakePart and Members Project. NOTE: You can use your full name as your username, including a space, if you want.
- Once you’re registered, scroll down the page and click the Defenders logo. A little box will pop up.
- Click the Vote button in the popup. You’ll be prompted to confirm your choice.
That’s it! Thanks for voting for Defenders of Wildlife!
Thanks to the dedicated support of caring wildlife champions like you, Defenders is currently leading the pack in the Environment and Wildlife category, with 82% of the votes. There’s one month left to go, so let’s keep up this fantastic momentum! Remember, you can vote once a week until February 20th!