Rodger Schlickeisen and Jamie Rappaport Clark

A Warm Welcome and a Fond Farewell

As many of you already know, after 20 years at the helm of Defenders of Wildlife, I have made the difficult decision to retire this fall. I am proud of the great victories we have achieved over the past two decades and appreciate all of your support for wildlife conservation.

On October 1, Jamie Rappaport Clark will take over as president and CEO of Defenders. As former director of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service during some of its best years—which included the restoration of wolves to the American landscape in the 1990s, the recovery of the peregrine falcon, and the expansion of the National Wildlife Refuge System—Jamie has literally spent her whole career safeguarding our country’s precious wildlife.

She will continue to bring all that experience to Defenders, leading an extraordinary team of professionals in tackling the serious conservation challenges that lie ahead for wildlife.  That is why I am confident that with your continued help and Jamie at the helm, Defenders of Wildlife’s best days are still ahead.

Stay strong and keep up the good fight!

Rodger.

10 Responses to “A Warm Welcome and a Fond Farewell”

1. Joan Caro

Thank you for all you’ve done, Mr. Schlickeisen. God bless you in your “retirement.” Yeah, right. :-)

Congratulations, Jamie ~ and thank you, Mr. Schlickeisen, for finding such a good person to try to fill your shoes.

2. Bob Foster

Congratulations, Roger for finding it possible to retire in today’s difficult world. I hope things go well for you and you find the time to enjoy all of the wildlife you have done so much to preserve.

Congratulations also to Jamie for her new position as president and CEO. It’s great to know that the organization will be in such capable hands.

All the Best,
    Bob.

3. Denise Harris

Oh, wow! Can’t believe you’re leaving us Rodger Schlickeisen. Thank you so, so much for all you’ve done to help us help the wild ones for all these years. Will miss seeing your name on my emails.

Best of everything to you. I’ll bet you’ll still be there doing what you do so well.

The Wild Ones thank you, too!

Denise Harris

4. Mary Kenneally

Dear Rodger,
    You have been absolutely inspirational.
    Thank you so much for the incredible dedication and vision and energy you have given to all living things.
    May you enjoy blessings and sunshine knowing that you have changed the world for the better.
    Mary.

5. Lorinda Roland

Rodger – I will miss you. I’ve been a protector of wildlife all my life…and wolves are
    very special to me. Though I’ve been a supporter of Defenders for over 30 years,
    to me your name has been synonymous with Defenders forever. You’ve done so much – especially for wolves protection. Jamie has big shoes to fill. I will be here as long as I’m still on earth supporting her…supporting Defenders.

I wish you happy retirement – and smiles from all the wolves you’ve saved.

6. Gail Runnels

What a great inspiration you have been. Thank-you on behalf of all those precious souls who cannot speak for themselves, and thank-you for reminding anyone who wants to listen that we are all connected.

7. Christine Neuendorf

Thankyou for all your dedication and hard work. I know your heart has always been in your work and you have educated and inspired me and many. Every voice, every action can make a difference! May you be blessed in your retirement.

8. Linda (Kat) Karnes

Many, many thanks, Mr. Schlickeisen, for all you have done for Defenders of Wildlife and for this planet and the wild ones over the years. You will surely be missed. I wish you the very best upon your retirement.

A heartfelt welcome, Ms. Rappport Clark, you are the best, in my opinion, to take over where Mr. Shlickeisen leaves off.

Two of the best leaders that could ever be. THANKS!!! to you both!!